Monday, May 28, 2007

More detailed route map

I'll fly into Bilbao (on the northeast coast), take a train to León (at the intersection of where the yellow route comes down vertically to meet the blue, which is the Camino Frances), a bus to Astorga, then start walking. I've decided to take on 260 rather than 200 km because I don't want to miss the mountain pass just west of Astorga. Even the bare-bones Confraternity of St. James’ Pilgrim Guide to the Camino Frances, which basically sticks to mileage and a listing of pilgrim hostals, cautions, "it is a long and hard 50km across the mountains of León from Astorga to Ponferrada. The route goes up over 1500 meters [almost 5000 feet] and as in all mountains the weather can be uncertain at any time." There's no place to stay or buy food on the highest section; the guide advises you to carry food and get an early start. But it also says that "the stretch between Astorga and Ponferrada is one of the most interesting and beautiful of the whole camino."

This sounds like the closest thing to backpacking you probably get on the Camino, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Along that stretch is another famous Camino landmark, the Cruz de Ferro (Iron Cross). Traditionally each pilgrim adds a stone, brought from home, to the pile of rocks below the cross, which has grown predictably enormous over the centuries.

3 comments:

KJP said...

Are you taking a cell phone? It's not on your list. I'd be willing, though I don't know you from Eve, to pay for long distance calls. A word can be worth a world, for those of us left behind. Is it not possible to connect, now and again, with the few who might anxiously wonder after your bliss (and the destiny of their prayers)? I see you're taking a digital recorder. Could be instructive, interesting, to record the cellular traffic.
I will miss you, will think of you everyday. I'll carry you in my heart, reflect each sunset upon your effort. Admire the work. love the worker. Shout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI9lo5BRJmg&mode=related&search=

braised shortribs said...

my friend told me they serve wine in the mcdonald's there

Erin Van Rheenen said...

cool, Mr. Ribs. I'll go to McDonald's--but just for the wine.