Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Why I want to walk

Yesterday I went the easy route, citing another source as to why other people walk. What’s harder to talk about it why I want to walk. People ask, and I mouth something about wanting to join the millions of people who’ve walked the same path. But it can’t just be the numbers—millions of people get cancer, and I don’t want to walk that road.

I’ve vowed to keep my posts short, so I’ll cut to the chase: I don’t know. I don’t really know why I’m doing this. I like to walk, yes. And it’s a cheap way of seeing Spain. But even more, I suspect that there’s something in me that likes the idea of penance.

I’m not sure what I’m guilty of, but I must have done something wrong. I won’t be wearing a hair shirt but I probably will be in some pain schlepping that 200k. I was baptized Catholic. And though I was raised in a secular household, somehow I’ve always been drawn to the rather punishing faith of my Dutch and Irish ancestors.

There’s something in me that likes an ordeal. Especially an ordeal on foreign soil.

2 comments:

KJP said...

Love the idea of your walk. I think its brilliant. There is a great 'walking' book, 'The Rings of Saturn', by W.G.Sebald. I think his tone might be close to you.
Best of luck. I look forward to your posts.

Erin Van Rheenen said...

Thanks, kjp. I'll look for that book.